Stuffed, and stuff

December 28, 2006 Ace Albion

Still in the middle of various trips to visit friends and familym but finding time to build in SL as always 🙂

So I look and see not many updates in my blogvertorial- I’ll spam some box pics at the bottom of the post somewhere, don’t worry!

I was contacted by a guy who buys and sells land in SL (a flipper as we call them). It’s something I’ve done myself a couple of times, but overall too much unfun work scouring the world for nice plots. I guess anything sells with the land market how it is right now (ie insane) but this guy was asking about buying transferable houses- to pretty up some plots for sale. It seemed like a good idea, so I started working on one- I don’t change the permissions on my existing houses, I tried that once, it was an utter mess with all the scripts etc needing changing over, and ending up with a no copy *and* no transfer house. Doh! So I started on this house. I figured I would make it no mod, because it would be no copy- the OMG9 was built to be broken but this one was going to be more complex. So in order to give this new house some individuality, I started on colour changing commands. I got it to listen to RGB values, and had colour changing accent lines. It nagged at me that nobody would want to be using RGB values all the time, so I wanted to make a list of colours like all my old shoes used to use. Scouring the web for colour/rgb lists, I found some. They took a good evening’s chopping around in Excel and wordpad, but eventually I got something that could be read from notecard into lists. I stopped work on the house to do some other things, because by now the scripting was driving me crazy. I also wanted to take the chance to add some features to my House Control while I was breaking it for this colour thing, so that held everything up. I didn’t want to release new houses without the new script.

Phew. So I built a cute little eight prim cabin with a smokey chimney, getting into the winter spirit. It was also a chance to make a couple of new textures, which is always good. I called it LOGI.

Back to this scripted colour changing resellable house then. Sally helped with testing the script, and noticed that the house wasn’t always talking back- it generally whispers, so there’s a limit to range. At her suggestion, I changed all the command responses to Instant Messages, which worked very well. I also redid the messaging system a little bit, because the house had scripts in almost *every prim* (I can hear the gasps of horror from my scripter friends now- hi Illya!) and my original wouldn’t let the root prim talk to itself. So that was fixed. Bundled all together, and only having to delete a handful of colour names out of the notecard due to some stack memory error (146 shades was too many) the FORM house was finally completed.

Cripes.

Too much square stuff, I wanted to build something curvy. The next house came together surprisingly quickly, considering that few of the flat prims are the same size (all shuffling round each other to allow for curves etc). It was originally going to be two floors, but that third one was crying out to be made. So that was how the DOMI was born, and I love looking at its hoop and swirl outlines from up and around it.

Thinking back to the FORM house, I spent an evening coming up with something smaller- low low prim, a kind of “Child of FORM” in 16 prims, and I called it the STEP.

Hanging out with a friend (waves to Furiae) who is also now my number one sales rep 😀 I knew I wanted to do something more on the “rustic” scale. Well, as rustic as I get anyway. I didn’t want to redo the wood and render of the STIC and RYLO, instead I went with some rough stone. This house was built around the idea of having a cute greenhouse area. But you know as well as I do that people aren’t going to put little trees or koi carp ponds in- it’s gonna be the hot tub space, right?  😀 So I made the FURI, named after the gal who inspired it.

Blimey. From the LOGI cabin chimney, and working on the FURI cabin, I wanted to make an actual accessory fireplace. It took some fighting with particle scripts (I wanted to keep it low prim, so the emitters are the same prims as the actual model). Three prims, in a variety of styles, and the FLAM fireplace was done.

At least one more low prim house built to shell level, a couple of goofy store build ideas half built and put away for another day, and to add to it all, Molly made a really really cool building. So I have been working on fixing that up (always lots of snags) and it will be out on sale SOON- Molly Made Modernism 🙂 And now she shows me another cool house design she came up with today! If I can pin her down to get her awesome furniture saleable we will have more stuff than we know what to do with!

Good gravy, talk about a bumper sized update.

Piccies below!

form-cover.jpgstep-cover.jpgdomi-cover.jpgfuri-cover.jpgflam-covercabinfs.jpg

Advertisements

Entry Filed under: Building in Second Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to comments via RSS Feed

  • Recent Comments

    Nicky Ree on Blog Move!
    Ace Albion on Simplicity
    Mike on Simplicity
    rand on FREE UPDATES
    Ace Albion on FREE UPDATES
  • Categories

  •  
    %d bloggers like this: